Welcome to the Site!
Welcome to City of Kimberley Planning Department's On-line Information Server.
Here you will find information and maps regarding by-laws, zoning and any other things planning or City
Check back often for updates as new information is added regularly
BC Building and Fire Codes On-line
Did you know that the BC Building and Fire Codes are now available on-line?
You can find these Provincial regulations here: bcpublications.ca/bcpublications/
Official Community Plan Adopted
The new City of Kimberley Official Community Plan (OCP) was adopted by Council at the February 26th Regualr Meeting.
A list of Building Permits for the past 14 years are now available for each property -- along with every Board of Variance decision since 1991.
We also now show detailed assessment and taxation for each property!
New Map System
We have released our new mapping system! The stream-lined interface should aid in viewing maps both on desktop computers and mobile devices.
Some new features include:
- Faster load times
- Custom information pop-ups
- Plug-in modules for specific maps
- Measurements in both metric and imperial
- Elevation at cursor (or the centre of the map on mobile devices)
- Enhanced Help Topics
New features coming soon! Have any comments, issues or suggestions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
New Commercial Zoning
We've updated the C-1 Commercial Zone!
The commercial zone, which defines the use in most commercial properties in Kimberley outside of the Plaztl, has been updated to:
- Fully amend the C-1 zoning to support more uses and provide greater variety business opportunities;
- Add or modify some definitions in order to provide greater clarity and reflect a more modern economy;
- Explicitly protect existing single-family use to alleviate concerns with evolving insurance and mortgage practices; and,
- Perform some general amendments for better consistency throughout the Bylaw, including the renaming of the C-1 Central Commercial Zone to C-1 Commercial Zone
- Craft Breweries and Distilleries
- Multi-Family Dwellings
- Trades and Contracting Services
- Light Manufacturing and Produciton
- Food and Beverage Production
- Commercial Indoor Storage
- Place of Worship
- Commercial Parking Lots
All new uses are required to mitigate for noise, odours and must be completely contained within the principal building.
Single-Family Dwelling Protection
Recent changes to financial and insurance regulations and practices have made existing single-family homes located in the C-1 zone difficult to sell or insure. A new clause in the C-1 zone allows not only for the continued use of single-family dwellings within in the zone, but the ability to maintain, upgrade and expand their use. This should elevate these properties values and make obtaining home-owner protection much more easier.
The single-family use is only discontinued if the use changes to one of the other permitted uses or if destroyed beyond resonable recoverable amount.
Prior to this amendment, basements within zones under the City of Kimberley Zoning Bylaw, 1850 were included in the total gross floor area (GFA) which is used to determine a number of other calucations, including the floor space ratio (FSA). The new definition is now more consistant with the wording in the Alpine Ski Resort Zoning Bylaw where basements -- those areas more than 1.2m (4') below grade -- are exempt from the GFA calculation.